Friday, October 6, 2017

Five Fall Favorites {Indie-Published + Bushels}


Welcome to the last day of FFF on Stories by Firefly, readers! :D (Okay, so...technically tomorrow is the last day of the party, but I won't be posting then. Explanation at the end of the post. *wink*) Today's genre is 'indie-published' which I'm super excited for, being an indie author myself. (Wow, I just kinda realized that. O.O)


Look at all those lovely apples! Who else loves apple deserts this time of year? Hope y'all brought some ideas for what to do with all of them, because I'm pretty sure we're going to need the emptied bushel baskets for y'all to carry all these books home in. :)


FRIDAY: INDIE-PUBLISHED



To Get to You by Joanne Bischof // Wild Air, book #1 


To get to the girl he loves, Riley Kane must head off on a road trip with the father he never knew. Then pray for a miracle.

Most teens would love to have a pro surfer for a dad. Just not Riley. Abandoned as a kid, he hates the sound of the ocean and the man who gave himself to it.

When the eighteen-year-old learns that his best friend is stranded at a New Mexico hospital as her father fights for his life, Riley hits the highway to head east. But when his Jeep breaks down before he even leaves California, he must rely on the one man he despises to get to the girl who needs him the most. And when it comes to the surfer with the Volkswagen van and dog-eared map, a thousand miles may–or may not–be enough to heal the past.

A story of new beginnings and second chances. 


Oh my goodness, what a darling book! I've never read anything that shows hope and grace and redemption as beautifully as To Get to You. The second chances theme was so amazing!! For those of you who may not like romance in books, this one isn't nearly as romance-y as it sounds. Riley and Becca are super adorable, but that's not the main focus on the book. Doesn't that cover just make you want to read it?! Don't even get me started on the lovely interior formatting! <3 




Beyond the Horizon by Jesseca Wheaton 

Eliana longs to see the world beyond the mountains that tower above Salzburg, Austria, but knows that dream will never see such adventure- and neither will she.

Surrounded by a world of cruelty, she lives for the weekly visits of Aron, a boy she met on one of her rambles through the countryside.

But as the years pass and she begins to grow older, a new and unwelcome world is opened up to her.
On a fateful night at a party she vowed she’d never attend, she comes face to face with a shocking truth.

As the world around her teeters on the brink of war, Eliana struggles to figure out just where her loyalty lies; a decision that will drastically change the course of her life. Will she ever be free to see what lies beyond the horizon?
 


Eeps, a Christmas WWII Cinderella retelling! All three of these are things that I love in a story, so how could I not adore this one? Miss Wheaton does a great job of bringing Austria during WWII to life in this sweet novella! The salvation story is inspiring, the romance is sweet, and the brother-sister relationship is darling! 





The Pirate Daughter's Promise by Molly Evangeline // Pirates and Faith, book #1 

Skylar McHenry knew the love of her parents and a doting grandfather until her sixth year was marked by the tragic loss of her mother. When her father's secret past as a pirate came to light, father and daughter fled to a life at sea. Although Daniel McHenry's life had changed and he now robbed pirates to return the stolen goods to their rightful owners, his ship was captured by authorities, and he was hung for piracy.

Skye grew up in an orphanage, little more than a servant and shunned by everyone around her. Now a young woman, each day Skye faces is marked by some new struggle. Her only hope has been to rely on her heavenly Father's care and comfort, and the solace of her best friend Will, who has become more than dear to her.

Just when an unexpected encounter with her grandfather gives Skye a small glimmer of hope that things might change in her favor, her world is shattered. She is awakened in the night by cannon blasts. Pirates storm the orphanage, drag her away into the night, and force her aboard their ship. The cruel captain's intentions are clear. He will extract from her, through any means necessary, the location of the hidden treasure rewarded to Daniel by those whose belongings he had returned. For Skye to divulge the location would mean breaking the last promise she made to her father. She's certain she never will, but what happens when the lives of those dearest to her are at stake?

The Pirate Daughter's Promise is full of daring high seas adventure; sweet, wholesome romance; surprising discoveries; unlikely new friends; and the rewards of trusting in God even when life seems impossible.


Full of danger and intrigue, this would be a great adventure story for girls of any age! It's been awhile since I read this book, but I remember really enjoying it and staying up late one night to finish it. Skylar's story was really interesting and the guy she was friends with (why can't I remember his name?!) was great too! I look forward to reading more by this author (also published under Jaye L. Knight.) 





A Dream Not Imagined by Shantelle Mary Hannu 


A Maid, a Prince, and a Duke. A Gardener, a Stepmother, and a secret...

Ellie Abbington, a beautiful yet unassuming young woman, quietly longs for her life to change. Too privileged to associate with the servants—too underprivileged to associate with her own family; she dreams a dream of a prince and a happily ever after.

But it could be that her own stepsisters, conniving Dezmarie and easily-influenced Adelaide, are dreaming the same dream...of the same prince.

In the end, are dreams even all they're made out to be? Especially with deep and long-hidden secrets about to be unearthed?

A Dream Not Imagined is a non-magical fairytale novella based loosely on the classic tale of Cinderella.


Ahh, what a precious story! I've read this one twice and I love it oh, so much. The not-your-typical Cinderella story is absolutely lovely, and the writing is very good for a debut as well. Miss Hannu did a beautiful job of writing a love story that unfolds the way God intended for it to. And that plot twist, oh my! 





Ain't We Got Fun by Emily Chapman & Emily Ann Putzke 

It was never much of an issue for Bess: living contentedly on her family's farm, despite the Depression which loomed around them. But when her older sister Georgiana takes off to New York City to make a fortune and help Papa out, feelings of adventure and wanderlust strike Bess at home. Through their lively letter correspondence, the sisters recount to one another their adventures, surprises, and heartaches, leaving little room for depression. For in a world of such wonder, ain't we got fun?


Told through the letters of two sisters during the Great Depression, Ain't We Got Fun is a wonderful epistolary novel. Bess and Georgiana were such fun dears to read about! I think the fact that the girls' letters were written by the different authoresses made it even more unique. I haven't read many epistolary works, but this is definitely a favorite! :) 





At last check (late last night) we were only 4 entrants away from hitting the 100 needed to have a 3rd place in the grand prize giveaway! C'mon, friends, have everyone enter to win! We're so close and today is the last day to enter. :D (Enter by clicking here or visiting Rebekah's blog by clicking the above image.) 

I won't be posting tomorrow, but I will be around to reply to late comments...until I leave for the airport... *wink* Several of the bloggers will still be posting though, and be sure to check out Rebekah's blog for the giveaway winners! :D 


Favorite indie-book? Favorite indie-author? Need an explanation of what indie means? ;D 
~Faith 

40 comments:

  1. I've read 3 of these 5 books. :) I've heard of "To Get To You" but haven't gotten to read it yet. It's on my list. :) Thanks so much for being a part of this Five Fall Favorites! I've really enjoyed your posts this week!
    Have fun with you-know-who! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "To Get to You" is quite amazing! :) Thanks so much for having me! It's been a blast!
      Hehe, I plan to. ;)

      Delete
  2. I loved Pirates Daughter's Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been so much fun! I’ve so enjoyed all of your posts, Faith!! :D
    I am totally going to read “To Get to You”! It sounds great!
    “Beyond the Horizon” and “A Dream Not Imagined” were both great. And actually the only two Cinderella re-tellings that I’ve read. ;)
    “The Pirate Daughter’s Promise” and “Ain’t We Got Fun” both look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, girl!! :D
      EEPS, I hope you like it!! I love it so much! <3
      They're so good! :) Hehe, I think I've only read one or two other Cinderella retellings. ;)
      They're lovely! <3

      Delete
    2. I really like your new profile picture, Faith! <3

      Delete
  4. I want to read To Get to You! I'm not usually into romance, but the cover is just so cute and story line sounds adorable and amazing and I NEED TO READ IT!!
    :D
    Great post. :D
    <3

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO-O good!! The cover fits the story super well too! I hope you enjoy it! :D
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I loved A Dream Not Imagined! :D Shantelle's a wonderful writer! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding "A Dream Not Imagined" to my TBR. :) So glad you enjoyed Pirate Daughter's Promise. It's such a sweet story! And so is Beyond the Horizon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! :D They're both great! <3

      Delete
    2. Did you ever get to read the rest of the books in the Pirates and Faith series?

      Delete
    3. Oh no, I haven't! I should put those on my Christmas list. ;)

      Delete
    4. You'll really like them. :) Especially book 2 I think.

      Delete
  7. Beyond the Horizon is AMAZING. Just adore it. <3 I haven't read any of the others, but I hope to soon. :) Ain't We Got Fun just went on my TBR list ... it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olivia Bell (aka Livy)October 6, 2017 at 2:51 PM

    Oh, I want to read "Ain't We Got Fun", it sounds great! :D I love indie publishing and actually hope and pray to do it in the near future! My all time top favorite indie books are "Worth It All: Running the Race of a Lifetime" by Isabella Morganthal (that book is life changing!) and "Not Abandoned" by MacKenzie Morganthal (they're sisters, if you're curious). Those books are a MUST read! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really lovely! :D I do too, it's so wonderful. I've heard of "Not Abandoned" but not the other – I'll check them out! :D

      Delete
  9. I added to my TBR Ain't We Got Fun, and The Pirate Daughter's Promise. My TBR list seems to be becoming a mountain! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only heard of one of these books and haven't read any of them, but they sound great! Especially "Beyond the Horizon". I want to read that one now! :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're lovely! That one is especially good and wonderful for Christmas. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  11. “Beyond the Horizon” looks so pretty!!

    -Katja L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read or heard of any of these. Favorite indie author? Ugh that's so hard.... I like Kellyn Roth, Amanda Tero, C.B. Cook, Victoria Lynn.... yes there are more I could name. (I bet Jesseca Wheaton will be a favorite soon since I'll be reading her books in a bit.)
    A few of my favorite books by indie authors are London in the Dark, Twinepathy, and Left to Die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read by Kellyn Roth and Amanda Tero, and I have review books to start soon of C.B. Cook and Victoria Lynn. :) (Hers are awesome!)
      Left to Die is so good! :D

      Delete
  13. I've read Beyond the Horizon--very sweet little tale. =) And now I have "To Get to You" and "A Dream Not Imagined" are on my TBR list.

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    And enjoy the traveling to wherever you're going. ;)

    In Joy,
    Liberty Bluebelle

    One more liberty verse. ;)

    “For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty;
    only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh,
    but by love serve one another.”

    ~Galatians 5:13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so sweet! :) Both of those are amazing!

      :D

      Love that one! <3 Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  14. "A Dream Not Imagined"... <3 One of my absolute favorite Cinderella retellings of all time!!!! :) :) :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beyond the Horizon has such a beautiful cover, oh my goodness!! And what a unique story idea. :)

    Happy fall! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to mention that I nominated you for the Liebster Award 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks so much for sharing! these sound like very nice reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great! Thanks for commenting, Ashley! :D

      Delete