Tuesday, December 22, 2020

12 Days of Christmas || Day 9 || The Innkeeper by John Piper: Review


 
Good morning, lovelies <3 

Today I'm reviewing a tiny little book that I picked up at my favorite used bookstore on a whim and totally knocked me off my feet. And just... yeah, everyone should read this. 

Then I'm off to do some official last minute Christmas shopping, and hopefully catch up on reading y'all's posts. What are y'all up to today? <3 



The Innkeeper by John Piper

Only two weeks from His crucifixion, Jesus has stopped in Bethlehem. He has returned to visit someone important--the innkeeper who made a place for Mary and Joseph the night He was born. But His greater purpose in coming is to pay a debt. What did it cost to house the Son of God?

Through this imaginative poem, John Piper shares a tale of what might have been. The story of an innkeeper whose life was forever altered by the arrival of the Son of God. Ponder the sacrifice that was made that night. Celebrate Christ's birth and the power of His resurrection. Rejoice in the life and light He brings to all. And encounter the hope His life gives you for today--and for eternity.


This.Was.Incredible. 

Picture this. In the weeks before the Crucifixion, Jesus journeys back to the village of Bethlehem, to the innkeeper who had to turn Mary and Joseph away from his roof, but offered them a place among his livestock. 

There He meets a man, a man who has lived a broken, lonely life for the past thirty years. A man who lost everything because of a choice to unknowingly offer shelter to the infant Messiah. 

The words in this tiny book gave me literally chills. Every Christian should read and ponder this. 10/10 recommended. <3 


"I am the boy

That Herod wanted to destroy."

 

"God's ways are high, and you will know

In time. But I have come to show

You what the Lord prepared the night

You made a place for Heaven's Light." 



|| 12 Days of Christmas

4 Favourite Christmas Posts @ Little Blossoms for Jesus

12 Days of Christmas — Day Nine @ Soldier Girl Stories

Battle of the Christmas Book Covers @ Review from the Stacks

Christmas Favorites: A Tradition @ Tower in the Plains

Christmas Photography @ Farm Life: Autumn's Adventures

Christmas Story: Expected End, pt.6 @ Life of Heritage

Encouragement & Exhortation at Christmas @ Faith on the Farm

Hear Them Ring // Book Review @ RebekahAshleigh

“In the Heart of the Christmas Pines” by Leona Dalrymple  @ Old-Fashioned Book Love

Silent Night @ Angela Watts, Author



have you read this book? 
have you entered the giveaway? only two more days!

16 comments:

  1. My kind of book.
    Merry Christmas and A Happy.2021.

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too :) Merry Christmas and happy new year!

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read this book. John Piper is a new author to me, but I look forward to reading this. I always love meeting new authors. Thanks to this blog for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so amazing. Yes, I love his writings. Hope you get to read it :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing! I love the "what if" concept. You never really think too deeply about characters like the innkeeper that contributed so heavily - if obliviously - to God's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, exactly. It was such an epic take on it <33

      Delete