Saturday, September 12, 2020

Nineteen Years • 9/11 Tribute


Nineteen years ago yesterday morning, a hijacked plane crashed into each of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. 

Thirty-five minutes later, a third plane struck the Pentagon. Passengers aboard the fourth hijacked aircraft overpowered their hijackers, resulting in the plane crashing in a field in Pennsylvania. 

Nearly three thousand people lost their lives. 

September 11, 2001 was ruled the date of the deadliest terrorist attack in World History. 

The peace America had known was shattered, and a heartbroken nation swore they would never forget the tragic day. 




In preparation of writing this, I dug into the events of 9/11 in a way I hadn't before. I googled newspaper headlines from that day and the day after. I listened to recordings of phone calls made that day, many of which were goodbye calls victims made to family members. I read quotes from survivors and witnesses, one of which described the scene at ground zero as "complete chaos and utter hell." And I shed more than a few tears. 

One thing that struck me deeply was the similarities between so many messages sent or relayed to family members during a victims last moments. There was no arguments or strife or meaningless comments.

It was "I love you" and "I'm so sorry" and "kiss the kids for me" and "I'll see you on the other side" and "don't grieve too much for me, but live a full life." 

Because those are the words that really matter. 


Instead of looking so much at the events, the evil behind it, and the aftermath, I looked at the people. And I saw Americans. 


We are Americans. 

before we're left or right

before we're right or wrong

before we're republican or democrat

before we're black or white

before we're northern or southern


We are Americans.

Americans take care of their neighbors and stand up for their country. 

Americans stand for the flag with their hand over their heart. 


We are Americans.

And it's time we started acting like it. 


"9/11 showed us what human beings are capable of. The evil, yeah, sure. But it also brought out the goodness we forgot could exist. People taking care of each other for no other reason than it was the right thing to do. It's important for us to talk about that good, to remember. 'Cause I saw all of it that day."


My challenge to you and to myself? 

Live like every day is 9/12. 

Be so stinkin' proud of your country that it swells up instead you until you can hardly breathe. 

God hasn't given up on America. And we can't either. 



These other lovely ladies are sharing tribute posts as well! 


(Yes, this post is late. Apparently that's what happens when you combine homework overload + several long work days in a row + internet outages. Who knew? xD 


do you remember 9/11? also if you've seen World Trade Center, please come talk to me 
</3

13 comments:

  1. Powerful post. πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

    I researched 9/11/01 a lot. I shed tears for sure. And I have no doubt that the first responders walked into hell, to help save others.

    After 9/11 we became closer as a country, suddenly we were all Americans. Look how far we have fallen, but I believe we can still come together and just be Americans.
    No more division, just American.
    ♥️πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely. I'm sure they felt like the world was ending that day. And they STILL did whatever they could to save others.

      Americans first. <3 #NineTwelveUnited

      Delete
  2. This post really touched me. Just wow.

    We will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post soooo much!!! So much truth. <3333
    ~Gracie~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don’t know me but you have wisdom beyond your years and deeper than your skin. God has blessed you and you are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Faith...

    I do remember 9/11 quite vividly and it's something I can't forget if I tried...

    I've never been to the WTC, but I'm hopefully going to Shanksville before too long. My dream is to visit all 3 sites and pay my respects.

    Never Forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been either, but I would like to visit all sites as well <3 #NeverForget

      Delete
  6. We will never forget. A friend of ours brother was on the 104th floor in the north tower. Another friend's grandchildren lost a cousin who was a firefighter. We also lost a member of our alumni.
    God Bless all who lost their lives that day.
    Marilyn and Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.... We will never forget the evil the world saw that day. <3

      Delete