Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Five Fall Favorites || Day Three { Go-To Favorites + Books }


Welcome back to day three! Who else can't believe the party is already half over? Today's theme is go-to favorite books, and I tried to pick books that I've read more than once or are by favorite authors. 


Did someone say "book room"? :)  Click on the graphic above to claim your copy of my free short story! 


G O - T O   F A V O R I T E S


The Mercy by Beverly Lewis || The Rose Trilogy #3

Rose Kauffman pines for prodigal Nick Franco, the Bishop's foster son who left the Amish under a cloud of suspicion after his foster brother's death. His rebellion led to the "silencing" of their beloved Bishop. But is Nick really the rebel he appears to be? Rose's lingering feelings for her wayward friend refuse to fade, but she is frustrated that Nick won't return and make things right with the People. Nick avowed his love for Rose--but will he ever be willing to sacrifice modern life for her?

Meanwhile, Rose's older sister, Hen, is living in her parents' Dawdi Haus. Her estranged "English" husband, injured and helpless after a car accident, has reluctantly come to live with her and their young daughter during his recovery. Can their marriage recover, as well? Is there any possible middle ground between a woman reclaiming her old-fashioned Amish lifestyle and thoroughly modern man?

•••

Ahhh, this series is such a gem. I felt like the spiritual aspect and soul-searching was deeper than some Amish fiction, and some of the issues that arise more serious. I loved the redemption story <3 


Untitled by Jesseca Wheaton

Okinawa, 1945

Two brothers. Two Separate Paths.

A Navy corpsman assigned to the Marines, Jess Walker’s world is shaken as he struggles to aid the men around him. But the battlefield isn’t his hardest challenge. The nagging memory of how he lost his brother weighs on him, serving as a constant reminder of his failure. War has no mercy for anyone and Jess isn’t sure he can survive the war inside. As his world comes crashing down around him, he struggles to believe there is a future beyond the pain. 

Clay Walker has moved on from the life he once lived. A successful Marine pilot, he wants nothing to do with his family and the God he left behind. Japan is on the brink of surrender when his unit is shipped off to Okinawa, and it’s there that Clay is forced to realize his past is not as deeply buried as he thought. Faced with heavy losses and questions without answers, Clay has a choice to make. Is he willing to step back and let God take the controls? Or is it too late for a second chance? 

As WWII rages, the two brothers must face their demons — or be lost to the burning world around them.

•••

Do I even need to explain the reasons why you should read this one...? WWII, brotherhood, messy war time. It broke my heart in the best possible way. 

~ R E V I E W  H E R E ~


The Pursued by Willowy Whisper || Hills of Innocence Trilogy #3

FAWN WENDELL has no choice but to flee. Her life depends on it. She has no where to go, but that doesn’t matter. She has to disappear. She has to get lost, never to be found again, before her pursuer attacks. 

ADAM PRESTON loves his children. They’re all he has left. But with the ranch to run, is there any way he can give them what they need, especially when he’s hurting himself? 

JAKE SUMNER returns to an old house, a place that arouses too many memories. If he decides to stay, he may have trouble on his hands . . . trouble a whole lot bigger than him. 

SADIE is an injured, silent bird, locked in a cage she can’t free herself from. Her nightmares are real. The fear kills her voice. Will she ever fly again? 

•••

Another book that absolutely broke me. I've loved all of Willowy's books—they always keep me up for hours, wondering where the heck all these loose ends are going to come together. But they do, every time. 

~ R E V I E W  H E R E ~


Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words by Rachel Coker

Can love really heal all things?

If Sam Carroll hadn't shown up, she might have been able to get to her mother in time. Instead, Allie Everly finds herself at a funeral, mourning the loss of her beloved mother. She is dealt another blow when, a few hours later, she is sent from Tennessee to Maine to become the daughter of Miss Beatrice Lovell, a prim woman with a faith Allie cannot accept. 

Poetry and letters written to her mother become the only things keeping Allie's heart from hardening completely. But then Sam arrives for the summer, and with him comes many confusing emotions, both toward him and the people around her. As World War II looms, Allie will be forced to decide whether hanging on to the past is worth losing her chance to be loved. 

•••

I've read this book multiple times and I'm due a reread. It's the best combination of a coming-of-age story and a wartime romance, with a full cast of unforgettable characters. (And I just really love Sam sooo.) 


The Lady & The Lionheart by Joanne Bischof

Two worlds collide when the circus comes to Victorian-era Virginia. 

Raised amid the fame and mystique of the Big Top, Charlie Lionheart holds the audience in the palm of his hand. But while his act captivates thousands, it’s away from the spotlight where his true heart lies. Here he humbly cares for his pride of lions as if they were his brothers, a skill of bravery and strength that has prepared him for his most challenging feat yet—freeing an orphaned infant from the dark bondage of a sideshow. A trade so costly, it requires his life in exchange for hers, leaving him tarnished by the price of that choice.

As the circus tents are raised on the outskirts of Roanoke, nurse Ella Beckley arrives to tend to this Gypsy girl. All under the watchful eye of a guardian who not only bears a striking resemblance to the child, but who protects the baby with a love that wraps around Ella’s own tragic past, awakening a hope that goodness may yet reign. When their forbidden friendship deepens, Charlie dares to ask for her heart, bringing her behind the curtain of his secret world to reveal the sacrifice that gave hope to one little girl—boldly showing Ella that while her tattered faith is deeply scarred, the only marks that need be permanent are his own.

•••

Oh, look, another book that broke my heart. Anyone see a trend here? This novel is painful and hopeful and tells the dearest story of two tender hearts finding each other. The prose is elegant and dreamy and I love it. 




all-time favorite book? be sure to get your giveaway points in! 

23 comments:

  1. Ahhh Untitled is so good <3 and I do want to read the others!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing favourite books is so much fun!!! You did well to pick five, I'm sure I'd be in the dozens!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Untitled was such a powerful lil story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've never read any of these books! :)
    I'm looking forward to reading Window Fellow, thank you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You managed to pick 5 books that I have not read any of! :D
    And thanks for sharing the free book today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE ROSE TRILOGY!!!!!!! *heart eyes* They were sooo good. I love Nick. XD
    I want all of these. Simply said, I have four new books added to my TBR. XD Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these books but The Lady and the Lionheart and Willowy books caught my interest the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES! Both are excellent storytelling <33

      Delete
  8. Apparently I read The Pursued. And apparently I really liked it. But I have absolutely no recollection of it. I hate when that happens. Willowy Whisper *is* an amazing author, though.

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was one of those that reading the first two in the series helps keep everything straight, so maybe that?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I read the first one (and remember it vaguely more than The Pursued), but not the second one. That could be it.

      CutePolarBear

      Delete
  9. I've heard really good things about The Lady and the Lionheart--it's been on my to-read list for FOREVER but I've never gotten around to starting it! This post makes me want to read it even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Rose Trilogy! *heart eyes*
    It’s been awhile since I’ve read Interrupted and I hardly remember any of it…maybe that means I should re-read it… ;)
    I’ve been enjoying The Lady and the Lionheart! It’s really good so far! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading Amish books and Beverly Lewis is a good choice.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete