Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day 2020




There was a knock on the door 'round two o'clock
Two uniforms and her heart stopped
Yellow ribbon 'round an oak tree
Blowing in the breeze

Here's to the ones that didn't make it back home
The ones we ain't seen in so long
The hold up a beer ones, the wish they were here ones
The not forgotten but gone
Your baby would just about be here
And your very last tour would be up
But you won't be back, they're all dressin' in black
Drinkin' sweet tea in Styrofoam cups

Mamas and grand mamas love you
American boys hate to lose

Nobody here could forget you
You showed us what we had to lose
You never planned on the bombs in the sand
Or sleepin' in your dress blues



We searched all day
To find out where my granddad lay
When we finally found that cross
He said, "Son this is what it costs
To keep us free"

They folded up a flag and told my mom and dad
We're proud of your son

And every time I hear twenty-one guns
I know they brought another hero home to us


The second soldier we never got to see
An army band was playing
By a long black limousine

Two soldiers coming home
Returning to their families
They've been away from the so long

There's gonna to be some flags waving
And some tear stained faces
Oh, the journeys over for two soldiers




He found him a girl
Made her his queen
And he fought for his country
And he gave it everything


Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13



(Psst... In honor of Memorial Day, my novel Freedom is free today on Kindle. Or, if you're in the mood for something shorter, a short story I wrote a few years ago with a Memorial Day vibe can be found here.) 


we will always remember <3

16 comments:

  1. "The Ones That Didn't Make It Back Home"... special song...
    Amen, we will. <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a good post. <333

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I love that song, The Ones Who Didn't Make It Back Home. ❤ God bless , Faith! And God bless America! 🇺🇸

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm a day late...But this is great. I love it. Sometimes I can get lost in the 'holiday' and 'no school' so I really needed this reminder to remember those heroes and thank God for them.
    <3
    ~Gracie~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two Soldiers coming Home...*cries* everytime I read the words I cry... More than just a name on a wall...
    Thanks for Freedom, my Kindle is very happy ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blubbers* I knoowww...
      your kindle is very welcome ;) <3

      Delete