Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Beautiful Books ~ 2016

Hello everyone! Two posts in two days, what's up with that, huh?! Well, I have a lot of stuff to catch up on with these last couple of days of October... So let's do this thing. XD 


Instead of the usual Beautiful People, this month Cait and Sky are hosting Beautiful Books – in preparation for NaNoWriMo next month. I'm not participating in NaNo *cues all the sad faces* but I'm doing this anyway...because it's awesome-sauce. *winks to two cool peeps who totally get this thing* 

I know I use it all the time, but I'm using War Tears again. :) It's the WIP I'm currently focusing on getting finished, and I need all the inspirational help I can get, soooo... ;) 


1) What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
The original inspiration for this book came from the movie, Beautiful Dreamer (2006). WWII, pilots, POWs,...this movie (one of my all-time favorites) shares a lot of similarities with my book. :) 
Well, the file says it was created in March of 2015. So, technically I've been working on it for 19 months at the current time, but I haven't been very serious or diligent until this year – especially since spring. :)  (Also, those notes I scribbled in March of '15 are veeeerrrryyyy different from how War Tears is now. ;P) 


2) Describe what your novel is about! 
'Describe your novel' – why is it that I always moan over hearing those words? *sigh* Okay, let's try this. 
David Carnathan feels like he's living the perfect life – working on cars, living in a small town, and married to his sweetheart. That is, until Pearl Harbor is bombed and he soon finds himself at the enlistment office. As bomber planes fly across Europe and letters fly across the Pacific, both he and his wife Bethany's lives are changed in ways neither of them could have ever expected. 

That's the best I can do for now. :P


3) What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
Hmm...how's this? 




4) Introduce us to each of your characters!
Each? That would take an eternity. How about four of my favorites? 

David Carnathan: David is a pilot in the USAAF. Nice, outgoing, charming, and a great Christian guy, he's...my favorite. ;) 

Bethany Carnathan: Bethany is David's wife. She's quiet and keeps to herself, but when you get to know her you see that she's super sweet and caring. :) 

Joshua Trueheart: Joshua is David's co-pilot and good friend. He's a great guy with a big heart who's known for cracking jokes. ;) 

Lenore Anderson: Lenore is David's six year-old niece, his sister Erin's daughter. She's the cinnamon roll of the story and one of my favorite characters – so fun to write! 


5) How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
Outlining, research, chocolate, coffee, music (either alive, upbeat and happy or sad and tear-jerking. there is hardly ever an in-between.)...definitely a little howling. Or maybe that would be called whining? You know, like "I don't even know what I'm dooooiiingggg. Someone heeellppp meeeeeee." *sobs in a corner* 
I totally didn't do that. *cough* 


6) What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
FINISHING IT. Haha, no joke though. Step one, finish it. Step two,...set it aside for awhile (like a couple years) and then edit. :P 


7) List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
1. War. (duh. It's right there in the title). 
2. Tears. (refer to above note)
3. Airplanes. Bombers, to be more specific. 


8) What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
Goal? Um...complete missions, keep his crew alive, and go home. Who stands in his way...Hitler? XD 


9) How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
He learns that God is the same in the hard times as well as in the good. He's in control and what He wills is ultimately for the best. :) 


10) What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
Themes, hmm. War, heartache, trusting God, finding happiness in the hard times...to mention a few. :) 
I hope readers feel satisfied when they finish my story and I want them to be encouraged. I also hope they enjoy it – of course!! :) 



Before I bounce off to do some things before bed, I wanted to let y'all know about something. I guest-posted on Amy L.'s blog!! :D Click here to check it out! (Psst! It's WWII related! ^_^) 

Have you did Beautiful Books? Are you doing NaNoWriMo? 

~Faith

4 comments:

  1. GAHHHHH!!! *hugs post* *hugs WT* *hugs Josh and glares at you*
    I love that collage. I think I've seen all the pictures before somewhere... ;)
    Yes, your novel is "Beautiful Dreamer" With a few twists. ;)
    Noo, here's how it's gonna go. Step one: Finish it. Step Two: Send it to Jesseca to edit for me. B-)
    Oh, Hitler stands in his way? Hahaha!!! That made me laugh so hard. For some reason I got this crazy picture in my head with Hitler standing on the runway and David attempting to take off. Shh, I'm tired. xP
    Oh, yeah, EVERYONE will enjoy it. They'll cry their eyes out, throw the book at you, and then ask for the 2nd one. There will be a 2nd one, right? B-)
    Oh, and I loved your guest post!!! :D Thanks for the two awesome-sauce posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smiles* *ignores glare*
      Hehe, you miiiggghhhttt have saw them before. ;)
      More than a few! I've counted five off the top of my head... B-)
      Hahaha! Um, we'll see about that. ;) Step one: finish. Step two: breathe. Step three: scream about it to Jesseca. Step four: send it to Jesseca for inspection. ... Deal? ;)
      Hahahaha!!!! Oh goodness, that's so funny!! :D Now I have this crazy mental image of David and Joshua in the cockpit and Hitler on the runway. XD I think I'm tired too...I couldn't spell 'squint' a few minutes ago. :P
      That's enjoying it? I mean, books hurt... *rubs head* Um, second one...yeah. There will be one. With two people in Europe and two other people in America. B-)
      I'm so glad!!! :D It was such fun to write!

      Thanks for commenting, Jesseca!!

      Delete
  2. I always love hearing more about “War Tears”!! :D
    Oh, “War Tears” is sort of similar to Beautiful Dreamer? I don’t know if I knew that or not. Beautiful Dreamer is so good though. :)
    I love that collage!
    All of your characters sound so great!
    No!! Once you finish writing this you just can’t wait years to edit it! ;) I can not wait that long to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Rebekah!! :)
      Yes, "War Tears" shares several similarities with Beautiful Dreamer. ;) When you get to read it (it will happen, I promise!!) you'll probably pick up on some of them. ;)
      Thanks – one both! ^_^
      *grins* I know, I know... I'll be good and only set it aside for a week? Two? ;)

      Thanks for commenting, Rebekah!!

      Delete