Friday, August 31, 2018

Dog Sitting, Hallmark Movies, and a Farewell to Summer // August Recap

Guess who survived her first month of adulthood? *points to self* Guess who hasn't did anything too drastic like flee the country yet? *also points to self*



|| Life. ||


>> So, I finally started work this month. xD Not full time yet, but hopefully soon! In the meanwhile, I've found lots of random jobs to compensate. Pet sitting, for one. I looked after an older couple's dogs last Saturday, and then I've taken care of two dogs for the lady I work for several times this summer. Goodness, they're sweet girls. <33



>> I also ended up driving a neighbor to and from work one weekend and made some extra cash, so that was cool. Early one day, though...like get-up-at-6:00 kind of early. O.O  (I'm not a morning person. In case you couldn't tell.)



>> I attended a corn roast/cookout with my family! So that was cool. xD


>> One night, I was hunting for my desk for a somewhat empty binder that I could clean out to use for ASL 3. And I ended up clearing everything out of my desk, tossing it into the floor, and sorting through it. I may or may not have found stuff from like 24975 years ago. Along with books that someone lent me and I never read...or returned.


>> My favorite songs of the month were Love by Jane Kramer, Blue Tacoma by Russell Dickerson, Every Storm by Gary Allen, and Come On Down and Dear Life by High Valley. And basically everything from Scotty McCreery's latest album! <3



>> So...Dairy Queen closed, y'all. The one we went to the most closed. The Sunday evening hangout spot for, like, half the county. The place with lots of memories of ice cream and laughter and friends. <33


>> I watched lots of Hallmark this month! I finished my re-watch of the lovely Signed, Sealed, Delivered series. I also watched All of My Heart, Summer of Dreams, and A Summer to Remember.


>> I may or may not have ate key lime pie for breakfast. Like three days in a row. #RockinTheAdultLife




|| Books. ||



// Reads

Outpourings of a Beloved Heart by Joan Embola -- 5 stars -- Review here.
The Boxcar Children Beginnings by Patricia MacLachlan -- 4 stars
I Survived: The Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 by Lauren Tarshis -- 4 stars
Shower Thoughts by Gray Marie Cox -- 5 stars
Love Finds a Way by Wanda Brunstetter -- 3 stars
Mere Hope by Jason G. Duesing -- 5 stars -- Review here.
The Hallelujah Lass by Wendy Lawton -- 4 stars
The River Between Us by Richard Peck -- 4 stars
Thoughts in Verse: A Collection of Poetry by Rebekah Eddy -- 4.5 stars
The Way to Go by Rebekah A. Morris -- 3 stars
Behind Enemy Lines: A Young Pilot's Story by H.R. DeMallie -- 4 stars
Child of Mine by Beverly Lewis -- 5 stars
The Lady and the Lionheart by Joanne Bischof -- 5 stars
The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins by Walter Dean Myers -- 4 stars
The Scent of Cherry Blossoms by Cindy Woodsmall -- 4 stars
Love Blind by Angie Thompson -- 4 stars



This month, I got nine Beverly Lewis books, two books from the Miracles of Marble Cove series, A Life of Joy by Amy Clipston, The Scent of Cherry Blossoms by Cindy Woodsmall, and Thoughts in Verse by Rebekah Eddy! :)



|| Writing. ||


The first half of the month was rather crazy in the writing world. I finished the second edit/third draft of A Soldier's Freedom, which included lots of new scenes. That book is now in the hands of beta-readers while I focus on other projects and decide what happens with it next. ;)

However, there wasn't much happening during the second half of the month. I worked on some random short stories, as well as planning out the stories that will be included in Behold.

Hmm, I haven't told y'all about that, have I? Behold is a Christmas short story collection that will be releasing on September 7th! Super excited for this one. <3 No cover yet, but here's the synopsis.

From two siblings caught up in the harrowing days of WWII to separated foster children in the US…
From a missing child in the wake of a natural disaster to a memorable roadtrip across the Southeast…
You’ll be swept into the Christmas spirit with the endearing stories tucked inside these pages. The storylines range from family to romance to the bond of community, with settings scattered across America and beyond.
Behold the beauty of the Savior’s birth with this gathering of stories that warm the soul and bless the heart.

So yes, that's what going on. Oh, and somewhere in there I technically failed the Go Teen Writers 100-for-100 challenge without realizing it. Whoops. xD

Word Count: 9,943



|| Blogging. ||


// Favorite Posts 

Apples of Gold ~ The Best Thing

twilight to dawn ~ DEFINING BRAVE

Counting Your Blessings One by One ~ Choosing Joy

The Rebelution ~ What Disappointment Taught Me About Dreaming Big

Inside Out Designs ~ Why Good Graphic Design is Crucial to Authors

The Introverted Extrovert ~ How are You for Real?


// My Posts










|| Goals. ||

~ August Goals 

>> Read 8 books.    Score!

>> Finish editing A Soldier's Freedom.      Yuusss. :D

>> Catch up on blog posts.     Most definitely!

>> Start editing War Tears.      Nope, but I decided to get Behold shipped off to betas first. xD So, halfway?

>> Go camping. *fingers crossed*      *sniffles* nope...

>> Complete a beta-reading project.        Yes, and gracious, it was fabulous. <33


~ September Goals 

>> Read 8 books.

>> Send Behold to beta-readers.

>> Edit pt.1 of War Tears.

>> Be a hosted author at a local book fair. #nervous

>> Host another readathon. (I'm thinking September 14th-16th... Would anyone be on board for that? I'll update the page and post more details soon!)


Quick announcement. I'm going to be participating in the Five Fall Favorites blog party again this October! Super excited to take part—and I was thrilled to see some new (though familiar) names on the list of participants. Take a peek at the invitation and be sure to mark your calendars for a week of bookish fun!



How was your August? Are you ready for fall? Saw any good movies lately? Last amazing book you read?! Let's talk! <33

~Faith

18 comments:

  1. That puppy is adorable! What's your part time job?

    Blue Tacoma has been playing so many time on the radio!

    Yum! Key lime pie!!

    Wow! You read a lot of books this August! I'll definitely have to check some of those out! :)

    Behold sounds really good!

    Tell me a little bit more about the readathon, I missed out on the other one you hosted...

    Also, what is the five fall favorites blog party like?

    Another great wrap-up post, Faith! Sounds like you had a awesome month, and I hope you have a nice September too! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she? :D I'm going to be working in a general/gift/convenience store. It's not open yet, but I've been working part-time to help with pre-opening stuff. ;)
      I love it!
      <3
      Hehe, yes. ;) They were mostly really good!
      Thank you!
      I put some details about the readathon up on this page: http://fireflysstoryspace.blogspot.com/p/june-read-thon.html
      The Five Fall Favorites party is a week in October, during which each of the blogs listed on the invitation will be posting each day. Every day will have a different genre and we'll each share our 5 favorites. There will be free kindle books as well as an AMAZING grand prize giveaway. It's very interactive and lots of fun!! :)
      Hope you have a lovely September <3

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post! Great wrap up post, Faith! Congrats on reaching your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on adjusting to adult life, I'm still a few years away but it sounds so stressful, so alll the respect. <3

    I'm not even a dog person, but that puppy is adorable.

    I hope next month is amazing for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. xD It's overrated, but not as bad as I expected...so far.

      She's so precious!!

      You too, Gray! <3

      Delete
  4. I like that first picture! So pretty!
    What type of dog is that?
    I like the idea of getting up at 6:00 in the morning, but not the actual part. It sounds nice because of the early morning quietness and all, but I like to sleep a bit more. ;) Unless it’s December then I love getting up early!
    That’s sad that the Dairy Queen close to you closed!
    Yay, for Hallmark movies!
    I always love seeing your book pictures! :) *smiles* Beverly Lewis books are so great! =)
    I am just so excited for “Behold”!
    Definitely participating in the readathon! :D
    I really, really enjoyed reading your posts last year in the Five Fall Favorites party. I can’t wait for this years! :D
    I so enjoyed reading this, Faith. Mine will hopefully be up sometime soon. :) It's almost done. It’s kinda funny, but my post title is somewhat similar to yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      I'm actually not sure what she is... Her owner told me, but I can't remember. ;)
      Yes, exactly!! It sounds nice, but when it comes time...I don't want to get up. :P Hehe, I'm never a morning person...unless I have to get up earlier to go somewhere or something.
      It is! :'(
      Yessss.
      Aww, thank you! These didn't turn out so well, haha. xD
      Yay! <3
      :D
      Thanks so much, girlie!! I'm really excited for it. :D
      I'm so glad you enjoyed my post!! I'm going to hop over and read yours shortly. :D Haha, I wonder why that is... ;) <3

      Delete
    2. Oh okay. :) The dog (aside from it’s color) reminds me of the dog we used to have and he was a cockapoo. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh okay! She might be...I'll try to remember to ask. ;)

      Delete
  5. Pet-sitting is a nice job :D That was my first job ever, and has been my main 'job' of sorts over the years. I'm actually currently doing animal chores for some people this week. XD
    It sounds like you've had a nice August! Besides Dairy Queen closing - that's very sad - and not getting to go camping. I'm sorry. =/
    I hope your September is a lovely one, Faith!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! It's a rather good and enjoyable one, too. That's fabulous! I'm going to be dog-sitting/house-sitting for three weeks starting next week! O.o
      Yes, quite sad... <3
      And yours as well, Raechel! <3

      Delete
  6. awhh thank you for linking my post! <33 and LOL I relate; I was looking for something in my closet and before I knew it I was into all my old writing and old letters #oops
    have a wonderful september! (thats so weird to say tho o.O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it ever so much, girl. <33 Ahaha, yesss. And once you start, it's hard to stop. xD
      Happy September to you, Sarah! (for real... o.o)

      Delete
  7. Ooh, fun post Faith! I totally forget it was SEPTEMBER today! Whattttt!!!!!!
    I love the Annie’s People Trilogy! So good! Child of Mine is so amazing!! My all time favourite Beverly Lewis book!
    Scotty McCreery is amazinggggg. I’m legit listening to This Is It rn. 😂🙌🏻
    The Lady and The Lionheart is preciousssss! I was listening to it but haven’t finished yet, but oh, so sweet! <333 lovely post as always Faith !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I know right?! How did this happen?! xD
      Those sound lovely!! Can't wait to read them. :D Yessss, CoM was so darn good. <33
      HOORAY FOR ANOTHER SCOTTY FAN. *high five* This is It has got to be the sweetest song on the planet. Plus it's about my state so #doublewin
      Ggahhh, finish it, girl!!! It was oh-so precious. I'm still feelsy just thinking about it. <33
      Thanks, dear!

      Delete
  8. Count me in for the readathon! I missed the first one. I've got two of the books you mentioned, Hallelujah Lass and the Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins, but I haven't read the last one. Looking forward to it though! Sounds like you've had an amazing summer! We sure did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Got your email. ;D The Journal of SPC was rather good! Not a favorite, but an eye-opener to what the guys went through during the Normandy Invasion. Yes, I have! Glad to hear it. :) <3

      Delete