Monday, August 27, 2018

Rain {Pinterest Stories: August Edition}

Does anyone remember the series I started awhile back (think—over a year ago), short stories from Pinterest prompts? (If you don't, don't feel bad. I didn't either until I found this little gem in some old draft posts. xD)

I can't promise that this series will make a comeback, but for the time being, enjoy this little flash fiction! <3



  Standing on the sidewalk under the tree with my damp hoodie covering my head, I watch her in wonder. 
  She spins and dances in the middle of the wet street. Rain pours down from the sky, steam rising from the warm asphalt. People scurry into their homes and places of abode to escape the downpour, but not Jaylynn. 
  She rises up on her toes, pirouetting and twirling like the beautiful ballerina princess she is. She must have felt my eyes on her for she turns and grins at me, motioning for me to join her. I know she can't read my lips or catch my signs at this distant, so I just shake my head and pretend shiver. 
  I detect a stealthy eyeroll, and she ignores my negative reply and persists. Shaking my head and snickering, I call out, “I'm not a dancer!” 
  She doesn't know what I said, but still she grins at me, shaking droplets of water from her hair. 
  My focus is drawn past Jaylynn and on up the street to...a truck. A pickup truck traveling top-speed down the residential street. Water from the pavement slings up creating a phantom-like mists behind his tires. 
  In the following split-second, I glance to Jaylynn and back to the truck. She stands barefooted on the centerline, face upturned to the rain. But he sees her...right? 
  As the truck continues to barrel down the road, I realize no. 
  He doesn't see her. 
  He hasn't slowed down at all. 
  And he's headed straight for her. That driver must be drunk, blind, stupid, or psychotic. 
  “Jaylynn!” My scream sounds like pure terror, but I couldn't care less. It should sound terrified; I'm scared to death. 
  She can't hear me. Of course, she can't. I know that. I've always known that. Why did I even scream? A barrage of stupid thoughts race through my brain as another split second passes. My mind flashes to what's about to take place before me, and the tragedy of it all forces me into action. 
  I race out into the street, into the flooding rains, and straight to Jaylynn. She hasn't budged, has no idea we could both very easily be dead within seconds. I grab her around the waist and haul her back towards the safety of the cement sidewalk. 
  She jolts and starts as my arms come in contact with her body. There's no time to sign an explanation. Odd thing to notice at such a time, but Jaylynn was right. The wet, warm asphalt does feel good on bare feet. 
  She twists in my arms as I struggle to stumble out of harm's way, but I don't release her or loosen my hold. We’re not out of the oncoming lane yet. 
  Another series of staggering steps and we’re to the side of the road. My foot slipped on the drain grate between the sidewalk and the road lane, and I vault forward. Somehow managing to end up with my backside taking the brunt of the fall and Jaylynn arriving in safety without a scratch, I slap across the ground on both concrete and grass. 
  As my cheek comes in contact with the wet grass, the pickup truck whizzes by. Never even slowing down. He would've killed her. Both of us, if I'd been a millisecond later. I could break something with all this anger bottled up inside of me. 
  I get my bearings enough to sit up with only a groan. Jaylynn is to my right, her knees drawn to herself, staring out at the spot she stood mere seconds ago. 
  I reach out and touch her arm. She's trembling violently. I notice something else too. 
  Jaylynn is no longer smiling and the rain has ceased. 



What do ya think? Would y'all like to see more of this type of stories? 

14 comments:

  1. Wow! This is written sooo good! Love the way you described everything! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great flash fiction, Faith! I would love to read more things like this if you wanted to share them :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW YUS DA FEELS ❤❤ but srsly, you have to stop it there?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^^^^YES THAT STORY YESSSSSS. I need a full blown novel of that, right there!! And yes, I’d love to see more stories like this. Your writing so gripping and just...enthralling. I’d love a sequel piece with these two, if you’re ever thought about that. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, dear!! <33 I'd love to write more about these two...we'll see if/when it happens. :D

      Delete
  5. PLEASE BRING THIS SERIES BACK! I fell in love with the one about the POW and this one was so good too! I was concerned for quite a bit, just sure someone was gonna get hurt. I'm with the others, I'd love a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ryana! I'll see what I can do about a sequel. :)

      Delete
  6. I loved this, Faith! What a great story! :)

    ReplyDelete